PRESS RELEASE

Launch of the ‘Centre of Excellence for Software Engineering’ at TTPL on 21st February 2020 in Dedication to the 40th Birth Anniversary of His Majesty the King

21st February, 2020, Thimphu: Thimphu TechPark Ltd., a 100% DHI Owned Company, launches the ‘Centre of Excellence for Software Engineering’ at 2 pm on 21st February, 2020 in dedication to the 40th Birth Anniversary of His Majesty the King. The Centre of Excellence for Software Engineering is being launched in line with His Majesty’s vision of using technologies to solve our problems and preparing Bhutan for the future that is increasingly driven by disruptive emerging technologies.

The process of transforming TTPL into an IT Services company was initiated in 2019 in line with His Majesty’s vision and the DHI Roadmap 2030. “His Majesty’s clear articulation of the need for our country to prepare for a future driven by technologies has given our plan to transform TTPL into an IT company the much needed impetus and focus”, says Dasho Ugen Chewang, Chairman, DHI. “I pray that the small seed that we are sowing today in the form of the ‘CoE for Software Engineering’ should bloom into success and help our country propel forward in a future driven by technologies for generations to come,” adds Dasho.

The Centre of Excellence will be within the IT Services Department of TTPL which is manned by 25 professionals who are competent in developing ERP software and providing maintenance support for SAP ERP system. TTPL is going to recruit around 20 additional developers and business analysts soon as the Government has decided to outsource two big software development projects to DHI and DHI in turn has tasked TTPL to undertake the projects. The two projects are Bhutan Integrated Taxation System and Health Information System. The two systems are expected to revolutionize the automation of taxation system and healthcare system in Bhutan and bring about multiple benefits to the people of Bhutan besides cost savings achieved through automation of some of the manual processes. The professional team of software engineers and business analysts will also undertake other projects besides the above projects.

TTPL will undertake the BITS and HIS projects by involving international partners and experts, but will ensure that knowledge transfer takes place and local capacity is built. “In the past, such kind of big software projects were normally outsourced to foreign IT firms, but the problem with that was that it did not help in building capacity within Bhutan and it was also very difficult to get effective maintenance support after the systems were delivered because the firms were located outside Bhutan. Both these problems are expected to be solved by engaging TTPL in these big projects”, said Mr Jigme Tenzing, Director, Department of IT & Telecom. In addition, one of the objectives of the Centre of Excellence for Software Engineering is to build capacity within Bhutan to export our services to other countries because the domestic market is limited.

Contact persons:

Dr Tshering Cigay Dorji, CEO, TTPL. Ph. 17113037 Email: tcd@thimphutechpark.bt

Mr. Karpo Tshering, Sr. Manager, DHI. Ph. 17631696 Email: karpotshering@dhi.bt

Thimphu TechPark Crosses the 700-people Direct Employment Target

24th February, 2016, Thimphu: Thimphu TechPark Ltd., the developer and owner of Thimphu TechPark, the first IT Park of Bhutan, is pleased to announce that the IT Park has crossed the direct employment target of 700 people this month. As of today, there are 717 Bhutanese, mostly youths, working at the IT Park. We consider this very auspicious as we have reached this milestone in the same month as the Royal birth of His Royal Highness our beloved Gyalsey and His Majesty’s 36th Birthday.

This has been made possible because of the support received from many quarters, especially from the stakeholders like the Department of IT and Telecom and the Ministry of Information and Communications, our shareholders Druk Holding & Investments and Bhutan Telecom Ltd., the World Bank, and last but not the least, the
Royal Government of Bhutan.

We believe that the first IT Park reaching this milestone has clearly shown that the IT and IT Enabled Services industry hold a huge potential for helping Bhutan meet the dual challenges of youth unemployment and trade deficit which reached Nu. 32.8 Billion last year.

The first IT Park of Bhutan was developed under a DBFOOT (Design, Build, Finance, Own, Operate, Transfer) Public Private Partnership model with funding support from the World Bank. The build phase was completed on 30 April 2012, and the operations phase started from May 2012. Initially, 74% of the shares of Thimphu TechPark Pvt. Ltd. was owned by a foreign company based in Singapore, Assetz Property Group (APG) and DHI owned the remaining 26%. In October 2014, APG transferred all of its shares to DHI and the name of the company was changed to Thimphu TechPark Ltd. Today, DHI holds 51% of the shares and Bhutan Telecom holds the remaining 49% of the shares in the company.

Tshering Cigay Dorji,
Chief Executive Officer,
Thimphu TechPark.
Phone: 17113037.

Copyright © Thimphu TechPark 2020 — All rights reserved.
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial